Country Roads of Northern Italy (Summer 2018)
Brochure Type: Europe 2018
Fall in love with Shakespeare's Verona, experience the elegance of Venice and wonder at the breathtaking beauty of the Dolomites and Italian Lake District before finishing your journey in the majesty of Milan.
Additional Included Highlights
- View Casa Mazzanti, Lamberti Tower, statue of Dante and the Gothic tombs of the Scala.
- Explore the streets and squares of this alpine town.
- Cruise to St. Mark's Square by private launch. See the Doges' Palace, Bridge of Sighs, St. Mark's Basilica, bell tower and clock tower.
- On Lake Garda, visit this quaint resort and see the 13th century Saligers' Castle.
- See the cobbled streets and 16th century square.
- Veneto: Taste crisp and aromatic Prosecco with the expert vignerons at a local winery and learn the secret to making the perfect Bellini.
- Como: Choose your own ambience and cuisine from a handpicked selection of restaurants on your Dine-Around Evening.
- Baveno: Your Celebration Dinner at a local restaurant is a true delight. Savour delicious Farm-to-Table meals, partnered with sumptuous Italian wines.
- Dining Summary: 9 Buffet Breakfasts (BB) and 3 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with tea or coffee.
- Venice: Witness the ancient skill of glassblowing as you watch artisans create delicate works of art.
- Cortina d'Ampezzo: Surrounded by the beautiful Dolomite Alps, Cortina's delightful Hotel Ancora is built in the characteristic Ampezzano style with wooden balconies and intricately carved and painted interior details.
- Milan: Explore Italy's renowned fashion capital with your Local Expert. See the magnificent facade of Milan Cathedral, La Scala Theatre and the glass-vaulted shopping arcade of Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II, lined with luxury boutiques.
- Verona: Venture through this medieval city, guided by a local historian. Experience the atmosphere of Piazza delle Erbe with its beautiful buildings, view Piazza dei Signori and visit the reputed home of the Capulets to stand beneath Juliet's balcony. You will also see Casa Mazzanti, the Lamberti Tower, the statue of Dante and the Gothic tombs of the Scala.
- Bolzano: Explore the streets and squares of this alpine town, with your Travel Director.
- Venice: With your Travel Director cruise to St. Mark's Square and see the Doge's Palace, Bridge of Sighs and St. Mark's Basilica.
- Venice: To the tune of accompanying musicians, delight in being serenaded through the atmospheric canals by gondola.
- Sirmione: On Lake Garda, visit this quaint resort and see the 13th century Saligers' Castle.
- Baveno: During your orientation with your Travel Director see the cobbled streets and 16th century square.
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times. If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport.
Call (847) 913-0013 for more information or to book today! Mention code 14019647
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 9/30/2018
- 11 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Your Journey Begins||Your Journey Begins: Board your overnight flight to Europe (Please ask about our great deals).|
|Day 2||Italy||Welcome to Italy.: After a warm welcome at Milan's Malpensa Airport, transfers depart for your hotel at 09:30 and 12:30. Meet your Travel Director at 15:30 and join a Local Expert in the heart of Italy's renowned fashion capital to see the impressive facade of the cathedral and the world famous La Scala Theatre. Linking the two is the elegant glass vaulted shopping arcade of Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II, lined with luxury boutiques. Mingle and get to know your fellow travellers during your Welcome Dinner at a local restaurant. (Dinner with Wine)|
Crowne Plaza Hotel Milan City.
|Day 3||Trento||Fair Verona and Trento: Cross the fertile plains of Lombardy to fair Verona, the home of Shakespeare's star-crossed lovers Romeo and Juliet, with its maze of elegant squares and well-preserved Roman Arena, which is still used for Opera performances. Join a Local Expert in the Piazza delle Erbe or Square of Herbs, a lively market square surrounded by beautiful buildings. View the frescoed Casa Mazzanti and lofty Lamberti Tower and continue to the Piazza dei Signori, the civic and political heart of the city, graced by a statue of Dante and see the Gothic tombs of the Scala family beyond. Take the opportunity to recite Shakespeare's immortal words and see Juliet's well-worn statue beneath the balcony where the Capulet family is said to have lived. Continue on to Trento, which is regarded as one of Italy's most appealing cities to live in. (Buffet Breakfast)|
|Day 4||Cortina d'Ampezzo||Climb up to Cortina d'Ampezzo.: (Relaxed Start) Follow the Adige River north, into the magnificent mountains and the distinctive limestone peaks of the Dolomites. Arrive at the town of Bolzano, where Italy and Austria culturally collide and you are at leisure to explore the the arcaded streets and squares. Continue along the zig-zagging scenic route to Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy's most exclusive ski resort and a beautiful alpine haven during summer. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Hotel Ancora, Cortina d'Ampezzo.
|Day 5||Cortina d'Ampezzo||The Dolomites at Leisure.: (Relaxed Start) Enjoy a day at your leisure in this fashionable playground of the rich and famous, surrounded by towering cathedrals of rock. Take in the fresh mountain air as you stroll the pedestrianised Corso Italia, lined with designer stores and backed by the impressive green and white bell tower of the parish church. Why not ascend to the summit of one of the nearby peaks by cable car for magnificent panoramic views of the Dolomites? (Buffet Breakfast)|
Hotel Ancora, Cortina d'Ampezzo.
|Day 6||Venice||Through Prosecco Country to Venice.: Travel down through more majestic Dolomite scenery to one of the world's most breathtaking wine regions. Protected by the Alps to the north, and caressed by the warm breezes from the Adriatic, the vineyards around Conegliano Veneto produce Italy's most prized sparkling wine. Stop at Carmina where meticulous viticulture and manual harvesting produce distinguishable proseccos. See how production differs from its more famous French counterpart, Champagne. Be tempted with a taste of the crisp and aromatic flavours and learn how to make the perfect Bellini. Continue on to the unique and remarkable island city of Venice, Queen of the Adriatic and check into your hotel. (Buffet Breakfast)|
Eurostars Residenza Cannaregio, Venice.
|Day 7||Venice||The Magic of La Serenissima.: Visit an arts centre on Giudecca Island to witness the age-old skill of glassblowing. Then, cruise along the scenic canals, lined with ornate palaces - memories of a bygone golden. Alight by the Bridge of Sighs, named in the last century by Lord Byron. Turn the corner into St. Mark's Square, dominated by its magnificently decorated Byzantine basilica, and overlooked by the great clock tower where bronze Moors figurines beat out the hours on a huge bell. No visit to Venice would be complete without a ride on a gondola; delight in being serenaded as you journey through the romantic canals. The rest of the day is at your leisure and there is free time to shop or perhaps cruise out into the Lagoon to try local fish and wine specialties? (Buffet Breakfast)|
Eurostars Residenza Cannaregio, Venice.
|Day 8||Como||Sirmione and Como.: Bid farewell to this enchanting city and take the scenic route along the Brenta Canal, lined with classical villas by Renaissance architect, Andrea Palladio. Continue past the university town of Padua to the peaceful shores of Lake Garda, the largest of Italy's lakes. Near the tip of a narrow peninsula, jutting out into the lake, visit the charming resort of Sirmione, clustered around the 13th century Scaligero's Castle. Follow the southern fringes of the Alps to reach the spectacular Italian Lake District and your hotel on the shores of Lake Como. Later, you have a choice of cuisine and ambience from a hand-picked selection of local restaurants for your Dine-Around Evening. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Hotel Barchetta Excelsior
|Day 9||Como||Como at Leisure and Lake Maggiore.: (Relaxed Start) Enjoy a relaxed morning in Como, the playground of Europe's wealthiest people. Nestled in the foothills of the Alps, the lake plays host to the most glamorous social sets and is a great place to people watch. Head on to Lake Maggiore's Baveno, noted for its narrow cobbled streets and charming 16th century square. (Buffet Breakfast)|
Hotel Simplon Baveno
|Day 10||Baveno||Italian Lakes at Leisure.: (Relaxed Start) Relish a full day to relax and enjoy this popular resort and beautiful lake, a favourite retreat of the rich and famous. Napoleon came here to plan his Italian Campaign, and Mussolini and Chamberlain met here before World War II to sign the Treaty of Stresa. Perhaps take a cruise out to the lovely Borromean Islands - Isola Bella is where Carlo Borromeo built his charming Palace. Savour delicious Farm-to-Table cuisine during your Celebration Dinner, accompanied with Italian wine and toast to your travels with your newfound friends. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Hotel Simplon, Baveno
|Day 11||DEPART MILAN||Depart Milan.: Your journey draws to a close in the morning and transfers arrive at Milan's Malpensa Airport at 07:30 and 10:30. (Buffet Breakfast)|
- Notes: Twin prices are per person.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class